On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:14:10 -0700
King Beowulf <kingbeow...@gmail.com> dijo:

>On 10/29/18 6:35 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:31:47 -0700
>> Jason Barnett <jason.barnet...@gmail.com> dijo:
>>
>>> In my experience, this type of problem has always been either a low
>>> battery in the mouse, or RF interference.
>>> Try a wired mouse. If it still jerks then it is a computer/software
>>> issue, if it works fine then it is likely an RF issue.

>> At this point it just has to be an RF problem. Unfortunately, I do
>> not have a wired mouse to test with, but I discovered something else
>> that sort of proves that it is RF interference: Both mice are
>> Logitech M185 mice Part# 8100C5234, so I just turned off the one
>> connected to the laptop, et voilĂ ! The mouse connected to the
>> desktop started working perfectly.

>Did you just turn off the laptop mouse or also unplug the laptop
>transceiver? This sounds like the desktop transceiver is connecting to
>the laptop mouse as well as the desktop mouse.

I don't know what is connecting to what, but you led me to what I think
will ultimately be the solution.

>I can't tell from the Logitech M185 product page if the nano
>transceiver is one of the 'unified' types.  Does is have an orange
>square pattern on the transceiver?

>1. If unified, see if you can find ltunify for your distro
>https://lekensteyn.nl/logitech-unifying.html#ltunify
>
>This may allow setting up the transceivers so that they only "see" one
>particular mouse.
>
>2. If not, you have 2 transceivers sending on the same 2.4GHz band.
>One of the devices has to go. Try a different mouse make/model, or go
>wired for the desktop
>
>3. Build a small Faraday cage for the laptop.  Unfortunately this is
>also block network wifi (a security feature!).

OK, first no Faraday cage. That would just interfere too much with my
pursuit of karma. :)

Second, the M185 receiver does not have an orange square pattern on its
transceiver.

Third, I looked for ltunify, but the link above took me to a page with
instructions for installing from source, and glancing through them I
concluded that it was doubtful that it could be done, at least not
easily. But that led me to fire up Synaptic and search on 'Logitech,'
which turned up a couple of possibilities: logitech-applet and solaar.
The former can only change the resolution from the default 400cpi to
800cpi. But Solaar is for pairing and unpairing.

I was on the laptop when I did this, so I installed Solaar and launched
it. It has a very minimal GUI display, and when I say 'minimal' I mean
it displayed nothing. Eventually I figured out that the display was
empty because it failed to find the M185 attached to the laptop. This
did not surprise me because the M185 transceiver lacked the orange
rectangle, and because I paid $10 for it at Wally World. Ya gets what
ya pays for, I guess. :(

So then I installed Solaar on the desktop, and got the same results.
But I have a couple other wireless USB mice around here, so I grabbed
one - an M325, whose transceiver has the orange rectangle - plugged it
in, and there it was in the Solaar display. And, while it appears in
the Solaar display on the desktop, it does not appear in the Solaar
display on the desktop.

On the desktop I could use Solaar to unpair the mouse, but that would
surely deactivate it, so that is not a good idea. A better idea would
be to buy a replacement for the M185 still in use on the laptop, one
whose transceiver has the orange rectangle.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction to a solution. :)