Yesterday rsync copied ~/ from the current desktop (salmo) to the new
desktop (baetis) using this command from ~/ on the new desktop: rsync -av
salmo: .

  /opt on both hosts have perms 777.

  However, when I try to copy the /opt partition from salmo to baetis I get
a permission denied (publickey) error. Running 'ssh -vv salmo' from the new
desktop shows sending and receiving packets with no issues until this:

debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey
debug1: Offering ED25519 public key: /home/rshepard/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey).

  Line 5 looks to be trying to send the private key rather than the public
key.

  Here's what I checked:

  1. Perms for both hosts' .ssh/ are 644 except for the private keys for
        which it is 600.
  2. Both hosts have the other host's public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.
  3. Both hosts have the other host recognized in ~/.ssh/known_hosts.
  4. From salmo I can successfully connect to baetis,

  Since rsync worked on baetis yesterday to copy my home directory from
salmo I'm not seeing why today it will not copy /opt. And web searches
(almost all from ubuntu and github users) offered nothing different from
what I checked.

  A clue stick will help.

TIA,