On Sun, 11 Nov 2018, Galen Seitz wrote:

How is the disk connected to your system? USB? Perhaps this applies:
<https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1840014>

galen,

  Looks like drives sold in external USB enclosures do have different
firmware on the drives. As a response on that thread wrote, "There have been
several posts about this type of problem in the past on this forum. The
usual culprit is a USB drive enclosure that has a 32-bit limitation. ...
I've never heard of this problem showing up in Linux with internal drives,
but it's theoretically possible."

  So I guess it's now a 750G drive since it started life as an external
drive and I intended it to remain so, but in a multi-drive bay.

Thanks very much,