-Ed

I use qemu for dos stuff (Motorola radio programming software that is so
old that it is almost
machine specific, qemu lets you tweak the thing until it decides to run....

The Windows 10 VM started out as a windows 7 which got upgraded. I used
VMWare ESXi
while working at a job to hold VM's for food safety databases (the idea
was/is to track food
"from gate to plate" so that you could quickly pinpoint where the bad stuff
came from (guess
it did not work so well with the lettuce) I got used to using VMWare there
and used Player to
test my VM's out before loading them up on the Hypersphere systems (ESXi
system) I tried to
get VB working but it bucked when dealing with weird serial port issues
(see Motorola above)
qemu and Player have done just fine.

Yeah it is closed, but for personal use free. I can spin one up pretty fast
for testing something,
so I have stayed with it.

I should go back and give VB a try again, they have probably solved the
serial port issues
by now since that was back in 2011.

Indeed I use Multisystem which is a VM running in VB. Lets me keep a bunch
of OS images
on a stick, choose and boot them. The app when running on the computer I
use to load new
images into the usb stick runs in VM and does quite well. I had forgot
about that. It is fast and
never seems to give issues. I pull down a new image fire up Multisystem and
stuff it on the
test stick.

On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 3:43 PM King Beowulf <kingbeow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/18 6:13 AM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > I see all of this and wonder if you have given thought to VMWare Player,
> > for personal use it is
> > free, I use it all of the time when I cannot get something to run under
> > Wine, it sees the USB
> > stuff quite well.
> >
> > I have not had issues with it seeing devices. I use it to program
> radios, I
> > am running Win 10
> > on a Ubuntu Mate 18.04 host. The radios look like serial USB devices to
> the
> > OS. Most of them
> > work just fine under wine, but one which seems the program is all
> buggered
> > up and even a
> > trick to run on Windows. Oh, I also use it for some Garmin stuff that
> will
> > not work on Wine.
> > Garmin should be ashamed, they sure use Linux behind the GPS screens on
> > their products
> > but cannot come up with a decent piece of software for Linux to talk to
> > their products.
> >
> > Here is a bit from them about running workstation (player is WS without
> the
> > license)  under
> > Slack:
> > https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/113
> >

> Chuck,
>
> It all depends on one's linux zealotry and personal preferences.
>
> qemu - fully open source
> Virtualbox - partially open source (uses qemu code in places)
> VMWare - fully proprietary.
>
> qemu uses KVM modules already present in the Linux kernel.  VB and
> VMware have their own mystery binaries.
>
> The link you posted has some factual errors.  Slackware uses a BSD style
> init system, which is NOT "unusual" and is also fully compatible with
> System V init scripts.  See also http://www.slackware.com/config/init.php
>
> Secondly, the statement
>
> "Keep in mind that Slackware is not an explicitly supported
> distribution, mostly because of its unusual file layout."
>
> bespeaks of a great deal of ignorance regarding Linux file systems and
> layouts.  I personally prefer qemu (fewer extra dependencies but harder
> CLI configuration), with Virtualbox as a second choice (nice gui).
>
> -Ed

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ph 4:13 KJV
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
Fil 4:13 RVR1960