While this is not exactly what you are asking - consider installing and
using Kodi with wireless mouse/keyboard for playing media.

With Kodi - if you can see the screen and have wireless mouse, then you can
control the player.

Otherwise, wireless mouse/keyboard works well with mplayer from a distance
too. :-)

Hope this helps,
Tomas