On 01/07/2019 06:20 PM, Richard England wrote:

On 1/7/19 11:27 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 01/07/2019 11:43 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 09:32:01 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> dijo:

I'm using Debian Stretch with MATE desktop.
I have a collection of USB drives (from 32GB -> 1TB) each with
multiple partitions.

When I plug them in I don't  want anything automatically mounted.
I want to have them appear in MATE's "Devices" menu for individual
selection.

I have only Xfce, but there is a page in the Xfce GUI 'Settings
Manager' labeled 'Removable Drives and Media' where this can be done
just by unchecking a box. Surely there is a command that unchecking
that box invokes. Unfortunately, I don't know how to figure out what
the command is from the GUI. But at least I can say that it is possible.

Yep. All the hits I got on DuckDuckGo were for desktops other than MATE.
A Gnome user on debian-user pointed me to a command line solution:
   > gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false

For my specific project it appears there may be side benefits.
Will have to do some reading and testing.

I find on Mate (fedora 29) that going to "Systems > Control center" and selecting "File Management" there is an option at the bottom of the "Media" tab that should allow you to disable "Browse media when inserted".

That it automatically browsed the new media is only a minor annoyance compared to it being automatically mounted. That option may be useful for a machine I'm configuring for a different purpose.