On Wed, 27 Mar 2019, Russell Senior wrote:

"Screen is often used when a network connection to the terminal is
unreliable, as a dropped network connection typically terminates all
programs the user was running (child processes of the login session), due
to the session ending and sending a "hangup" signal (SIGHUP
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGHUP>) to all the child processes.

Yes, I've used screen to keep a process running after I've logged off the
system, but screen is apparently not a terminal multiplexer.

My web search for tmux tells me it's a tool that supports multiple running
applications on a single terminal. This suggests -- to me -- that it
provides console services analagous to what a GUI desktop environment does.
Which is why I asked under what circumstances would it be useful for those
of us working on a single host or local network.