On 4/3/19 10:52 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
On 4/3/19 9:54 AM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
On 4/3/19 9:37 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:
I have a theme in xfce on my laptop that doesn't exist on my desktop.
I'm trying to copy the theme from the laptop to the desktop. I
compressed the directory Numix, used sftp to copy the .tar.gz file,
and am trying to extract the directory. I get this error message:

tar: Numix/gtk-3.0/assets: Cannot open: File exists
tar: Numix/gtk-3.20/assets: Cannot open: File exists
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

What's going on here?
I suspect these are directories and for some reason due
to the way you wrote the tar creation command you ended
up putting 2 copies of these directories in the tar file.
To create the tar file I used the GUI. I right-clicked on the directory
Numix and clicked on "Create Archive..." I don't know how it did it.

You can check this with:
tar tvf <filename> | grep Numix/gtk- | grep assets

You probably get 2 lines for each of the above files.
That produces a long list of files, but none of them seem to be exact
duplicates. The closest are:

lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff????? 0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.0/assets ->
../assets
lrwxrwxrwx rsteff/rsteff????? 0 2019-04-03 09:32 Numix/gtk-3.20/assets
-> ../assets
Ah, there is a clue.. they are symlinks.. what exact options
did you use on your tar create and tar extract commands?
Specifically I am concerned about -h.

If you evaluate what that sym links above point at they both
point at a file called
Numix/assets
that is infact an exact duplicate.
Now why is tar complaining about that? The only think I can think of
would be the -h option saying to derefernce links and store the data.

I used the GUI for both creation and extraction, so I didn't use any options. The creation occurred on a laptop running Xubuntu 18.04 machine, while the extraction occurred on my Ubuntu MATE 18.04 machine that has an xfce window manager. The copy from the laptop to the desktop was done with sftp.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens