On Thu, 18 Jul 2019, Rich Shepard wrote:

I cloned the repository and tried building the most current version. It
failed (see below), as did prior versions and the SlackBuilds.org version.
Same error on each of three hosts: one 32-bit and two 64-bit. I need help in
learning why this build error occurs (and not apparently on other
distributions used by others) and in fixing it.

When I look at the end of the build process (I tee'd the output to a text
file) I see that almost no file built. So, now I know where to start
looking.