What I meant to say about using --exclude ~/data
is that - if you would, hypothetically, use '--exclude data' it would exclude
~/data and any other directory or file called data - including the content of
any said 'data' directory.

BTW: Everybody probably knows, but ~/data will be expanded to $HOME/data - it is
just an alias for users home, not an file name. If you would to change user's
home dir to /users/$USER, for example, in the /etc/passwd file '~' would expand
to correct directory the next time you login. And, if some user dirs are in
/home/$USER, others in /users/$USER, others in /abc/$USERS - '~' will expand to
correct user's home dir, even when you refer to them as ~userName.

-T