On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, Ben Koenig wrote:

Basically:
- your logwatch messages says you have a problem with the EXT4 filesystem
on /dev/sdb.
- you say /dev/sdb is formatted as EXT3.

Ben,

That's why I'm trying to understand why logwatch started showing this
warning last week.

There is no /dev/sdb until I insert a USB flash drive or turn on the
external backup hard drive and manually mount it. When I turn on the
external hard drive fdisk -l shows /dev/sda and /dev/sdc, the external drive
is the latter. By default, the external drive's UUID is mounted on
/dev/backup where dirvish finds it each night.

Since logwatch isn't giving you the error, check dmesg for sdb related
messages:
$ dmesg |grep sdb

Nothing.

This desktop is acting very flaky which is why I'm trying to migrate to the
new one. The kernel warning might well be part of the flakyness.