I've got a bit of a challenge. I have an external piece of hardware
connected via a serial port to my Mint computer. Normally an application
deals with the data. I would like to monitor the data stream with something
like minicom to see the raw serial data coming from the hardware. The
ability to see bi-directional data would be a plus.

On my Windows computer I have an application called Virtual Serial Port
Emulator (VSPE) that creates a serial port splitter allowing multiple
applications to utilize the same serial port to communicate with external
hardware. Is there anything similar to that for Linux? Or perhaps some
other option for doing this?

Thanks,
Michael