From: plug-boun...@pdxlinux.org <plug-boun...@pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of John
Jason Jordan
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2019 9:33 PM
To: PLUG <p...@lists.pdxlinux.org>
Subject: [PLUG] What could cause /home partition not to be found

OK, y'all who tell me I must do a clean install can be happy.

At the Clinic today I tried to do a dist-upgrade from Xubuntu 16.04-6 to 18.04.
After massive efforts we failed due to the Update Manager being unable to find
files. When I got home I tried again, and this time the update sailed through
without a single error. I made no changes to anything before doing this, so
there is a question why the Update Manager could not find files from Free Geek,
but had no problem from my home internet connection.  But that is a discussion
to leave for another day.

However, although the dist-upgrade proceeded beautifully, when it ended the
computer will not boot, that is, it will not boot to the GUI. It will only boot
to a command line. There is an option 'systemctl-default' to view the logs and
I perused them completely. No errors stood out except 'Subject: Unit dev-sdb2
device has failed; Unit home mount has failed.'

On this computer /dev/sdb is a 512GB SSD with two partitions, / of 50GB and
/home of 400GB (dev/sdb2). Of course, /home has tons of config files for
software, so failing to boot the GUI without a /home folder is understandable.
But why would the OS suddenly be unable to find /home?

Any suggestions welcome!