The three book scanners near the checkout desk at the
PSU Millar library are somewhat difficult to use, but
better than my slow USB flatbed scanner at home.

Yesterday I scanned three huge multipage files to a
Brand X "Cheap on Amazon" 2GB USB flash drive.  I was
in a hurry,  so I did not segment the files into smaller
chunks, or check the files with my laptop as I made them.

Bad idea.

I now have a flash drive which is 60% full, but no files
are listed in the directory.  Either the files were too
large for the scanner, or the 40 character file names were.
The flash drive is formatted for VFAT16 DOS or somesuch.

I hope to recover the files (if not the file names) and
avoid another 90 minute, 200+ page scanning marathon.
I can grep the drive image for strings; I don't see the
filenames, but grep shows about 100 strings like
/ProcSet [ /PDF /ImageB ] -or-f /ProcSet [ /PDF /ImageC ]
and some fragments.  I tried using "testdisk" tools to
recover the three files; no joy.

My best guess is that my overly-long scan files blew
the memory buffer on the PSU scanner, and it overwrote
garbage.  There are signs above the scanners to "save
frequently" which I ignored (https://www.xkcd.com/293/)

PERHAPS SOMEONE CAN SUGGEST CLEVER TOOLS to extract the
pdfs from the 1.2 gigabytes of "unlabeled something" on
the flash drive.  Knowing how might help me help others
in the future.

I expect I will only get my files by scanning them
again, properly, in small chunks PSU's feeble scanners
can handle.  Meanwhile, "don't do that" is probably the
most help I can offer to others.

Keith

P.S. - the best book scanner I've used was at MIT Barker
Library; it images the book open 120 degrees, face up,
and accomodates the natural curve of the pages.  The book
scanners in the Library of Congress are almost as good,
but you must stretch the pages flat to get focused images.

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com