January 24, 2020 5:45 PM, "John Jason Jordan" <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:21:44 +0000
> mich...@robinson-west.com dijo:
>
>> Looks like my internal LG burner cannot handle 100G disks, but my
>> external burner has no problem with them.
>>
>> I'd like to replace my internal drive, but what do I replace it with
>> and who has a new one?
>
> Is this a desktop computer with a 5.5" bay? Or a laptop?
>
> New BD R/W drives for desktops are not terribly expensive. I have an
> ASUS BW-16D1HT in my desktop computer and it works well, although I've
> never tried to burn to 100G media with it. I think I got it on eBay for
> ~$50. My new laptop has no optical bay so I bought an external LG BD-RE
> BP50NB40 USB Blu-ray drive, which also works fine, and I can verify
> that it will burn to 100G media. If you use an external USB drive, get
> one with USB3, not for the speed, but for the voltage it will supply. I
> have an older external USB2 DVD drive and it came with a cable that
> forks to two heads to connect to the computer, in order to get enough
> current. I want my USB devices to work with USB power; I don't need any
> more wall warts in my life.
>
> Internal drives for laptops cost a bit more. Most are pretty much
> interchangeable, regardless of the brand of the laptop, except that
> they come in two different heights and you need to get one with the
> same height. The skinnier ones are more expensive. Other than the
> height the shape and dimensions are usually the same.
>
> Removal and installation for internal drives are pretty trivial. All
> you need is a screwdriver. The laptop drives have one or two screws
> that hold them in and you have to poke around to find them. On
> my old laptop the screw holding the drive in was accessible in
> the battery bay. Once you have removed the screw(s) you just pull the
> old drive out and push the new one in.
>
> But whichever drive you buy, make sure that they are advertised as
> capable of burning to 100G media. As you have already discovered, some
> cannot burn to such large discs. And some can read 100G but can burn
> only to 25G or 50G.

I have a desktop system custom built with AMD FX 8350 processor and an ASRock
mobo.  Yes, my usb3 drive burns 100G M disks but my internal drive may be
limited to 25 gigs.  I ordered a BDXL drive from Newegg that is supposed to
support up to 128 gig M disks and 3D Blue Ray disks.  Put me back $100+, but
with the internal and external drive I will be able to dupe disks easily.  I'm
using 100G media to build 2 buster archives.  One archive is debian buster for
AMD64 and the other is debian buster for i386.  Each archive is like 72G total.
 Probably overkill to have the whole archive, but I want to support an
environment that may be offline.  I'm thinking the isos on the archival disk
will be copied off to a Synology NAS.  Not sure if the Synology can mount the
ISOs and support network installation of Debian Buster, but that would be
awesome if that's possible.

     -- Michael Robinson