It is not normal, in my experience with Impress/LibreOffice.

I experience similar lock ups, most likely due to Gnome doing some magic in
the background - it locks my email client (evolution) or gui file manager
every now and then. If I wait long enough it recovers, usually I end up
rebooting thought.

Maybe, I should get a dog too, it could save me from annoying rebooting.

-T