On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 8:02 AM Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Feb 2020, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> > Sigh.  Shoulda left after the Oracle takeover.
>
> Oracle, like the House of the Rising Sun, has been the ruin of many a
> poor, er, software.
>
> Back in the day, we used a nice little shared calendar program called
> CorporateTime. It had Windows, Mac, and X11 clients -- so all our
> users had supported native access. The server portion (a Windows
> application) required relatively few resources and could run on just
> about any capable machine.
>
> Then Oracle bought it. You only get one guess as to what happened:
> bloat, expense, dropped X11 support, tie-ins with the Oracle RDBMS
> system, ...

Every buyer needs a willing seller. Assuming that nothing illegal is going
on, I find it hard to get upset over the actions of Oracle, when smaller
companies that keep selling out. It seems like we are still stuck in this
societal craze of starting a software company, finishing a single product
or service, and then immediately whoring yourself out to the highest
bidder. I'm no economist, but my understanding is that there is no inherent
requirement to accept an "offer" made by another individual or business
entity.

Do you think we should blame Oracle for making an offer that others can
refuse?