On 02/12/2020 09:24 AM, Michael Barnes wrote:
On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 6:58 AM Michael Barnes <barnmich...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 3:56 AM Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net>
wrote:

I've explored this issue in the past without finding something:
    in current production.
    meeting my non-negotiable specifications.
    satisfy enough of my preferences to be a good fit to how I do things.

This is a rewrite of some multiple posts to debian-user and adjusting
phrasing that caused off topic responses.
I post here as:
    this group is not Debian specific,
    it will provide a different point of view.

I wish to enter/store data while away from home. The data will then be
transferred to my laptop via a USB cable. [think a Palm Pilot in a
smartphone physical form factor]

It must use a standard Linux (Debian preferred).
The manufacturer should ship with the Linux installed.
Android is *UNACCEPTABLE*!
It should NOT have cell connectivity.
If it has WiFi, I must be able to disable it.

When I looked a few years ago there were some open source hardware
projects in the prototype stage but I don't recall any that reached
production. [There was something similar based on Raspberry Pi which
ended up too thick due to how screen was attached.]

Recently I was pointed to the PinePhone.
    https://www.pine64.org/pinephone
    https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone

https://www.pine64.org/2020/01/24/setting-the-record-straight-pinephone-misconceptions

It meets my cell connectivity and WiFi requirements with a set of kill
switches.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone#Killswitch_configuration

I can see practical procurement problems.
The site hasn't updated to report on impact of Coronavirus.
There isn't any indication of any U.S. importer - I don't want to have
the hassle of handling any duties or FCC type acceptance of the included
RF components.

It does have a nice set of specs.

Any suggestions or survey articles I should read.

TIA

I don't recall the manufacturers off the top of my head, ...
[snip]
I'm sure if you search for something like "data entry handheld
computer" you'll find them.

Michael

Expanding on this, in today's environment, finding something OTS from the
factory with Linux installed may be difficult, you'd have to ask them and
see.

That's why I said "should".
I must have implicit permission to install OS of choice without voiding warranty etc.

Remember, unlike John Q. Public, we know, understand, and embrace
Linux. "Normal Consumers" likely have either not heard of Linux or are
terrified of it. They do know Android and find it perfectly acceptable.
Just look at the millions of smartphones running Android. I found a bunch
of devices using Android available from folks like Zebra, Barcodes,
Honeywell, etc. I know you don't like Android, so you will need a Linux
distribution that will fun on an ARM system. There are a variety of
articles on the web detailing replacing Android with Linux on ARM devices.
That may be the only viable route for you.

ROFL. Once upon a time Staples sold a smartphone in 2 flavors -- with/without cell modem. I bought one of the later under the impression had a real Linux and I could put what I wanted on it. I know better now.

For the price they charge for these things and their claims of
customization for the user, you may find an option from them that you are
looking for. Again, it ain't gonna be cheap. But, if you want something
very specialized like this, and are not willing to do some of the heavy
lifting yourself, then be prepared to pay the price.

Putting Linux on a device is not heavy lifting. The manufacturer should not only actively permit it, but document the procedure.

As you originally posted, this group provides different points of view, and
you will certainly get them. If they differ from what you are looking for,
just delete and move on. No need for bashing folks for offering those
different points of view. We are all just trying  to help.

No problem.