> The problem is, an error about signing comes up.  I don't remember this
> being a problem in Jessie, but it's definitely a problem in Buster.

If this is the error you're getting:

Error: FATAL: No valid signing SSL certificate configured for https_port
0.0.0.0:3129 Squid Cache (Version 3.3.4): Terminated abnormally. CPU Usage:
0.020 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.020 sys Maximum Resident Size: 22416 KB Page
faults with physical i/o: 3 failed!

There's a thread on StackOverflow by someone from 3 years ago. Which means
the problem isn't specific to Buster. The tread might provide some insight
into your problem.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36716980/issue-in-configuring-squid-as-http-and-https-transparent-proxy