Well, I finally figured it out after going across several docs, then it
occurred to me to google bootstrap
and that took me to the directions on how to get it taken care of. I did
have to register with them to
reach that level of info, but turned out to be the solution. I see one
person has the same issues
I had, so FYI here is what I did to fix it.

You need an app that can talk to the terminal console, as in my case I had
blown out the config and
the OS. All that was in there was the bootstrap. Here is what I used:
Minicom
    Be sure and set the XMODEM setup to -b or it will barf on the file
The OS file I downloaded then I used Minicom to upload it into the switch.
After the upload you need to issue the following command:
bootstrap#boot system flash name_of_your_firmaware.biz
<https://supportforums.adtran.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fname_of_your_firmaware.biz%2F>
then reload it:
bootstrap#reload
Watch closely as you are going to need to get back to bootstrap and
load the config file for the switch. It will start dumping instructions to
the screen, at one point it will
stop and give you 5 seconds to hit [ESCape]. When you do that it will dump
you to bootstrap mode.
Now you will repeat the upload of another file. The actual switch
configuration. You can get the
config file from the Adtran site.
You are going to do the same as you did for the .biz file BUT you are not
going to do the boot system
flash, as this is just a text file that the OS will read now that it has
the OS loaded.

Here is the full set of instructions to get aOS back into the machine.
https://supportforums.adtran.com/thread/7374
I had to wipe the whole thing

If you only have to remove the config file here is a factory reset file
that puts it back to a
new unit config wise.
https://supportforums.adtran.com/docs/DOC-7561
when I received the unit. Now I have it back and can start adding VLAN's to
it.

Hope this helps anyone that runs into one of these.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:45 PM Michael Barnes <barnmich...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:25 PM Mike C. <mconno...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 10:28 AM Chuck Hast <wch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > > I was given an ADTRAN NetVanta 1234 PoE 24 port administered switch.
> > > One of the request of the donor was that I would remove any corporate
> > > configuration files. I proceeded to do so IAW instructions setout by
> > > Adtran.
> > >
> > > The next step is to upload a config file that makes it factory reset
> (the
> > > next
> > > version of this had the factory reset file hard burned into the machine
> > > this
> > > one not so) Anyhow I have followed the instructions but still cannot
> get
> > > the
> > > device to recognize the file.
> > >
> > > Is anyone familiar with these devices? I figure that PLUG was the best
> > > place
> > > to ask this question short of calling the manufacturer and not sure how
> > far
> > > will get there since the thing is I guess about 10 years old.
> > >
> > > I am using minicom to talk to the console port, I invoke xmodem to
> upload
> > > the file to the flash drive on the switch, then in minicom I start
> xmodem
> > > it ask
> > > for the file location, I give it that and it sends it. Tells me that it
> > was
> > > completed
> > > Then I reboot the switch, it starts rebooting then tells me that the
> file
> > > is no good.
> > >
> > > I am going to use this to carry several PoE'd access points and
> security
> > > cameras
> > > each system on a separate VLAN. It has 4GB throughput each port is
> 100mb
> > so
> > > that is more than enough for the devices attached to it.  But uploading
> > the
> > > config
> > > file is giving me heartburn.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any guidance given.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
> >

> I will say that I have contacted Adtran customer support in the past for
> old equipment long out of production and usually they have been very
> helpful. Some real old niche stuff was difficult, but most things they were
> quite helpful with. I'd give them a shot.
>
> Michael

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ph 4:13 KJV
Todo lo puedo en Cristo que me fortalece.
Fil 4:13 RVR1960