On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, Paul Heinlein wrote:

OK, that was too snarky to be helpful.

Paul,

Nah, snarky's okay in today's world. :-)

GNU sort has a couple different options for this sort of thing. The -n option does a basic numeric sort. It works fine on a list of basic numbers.

And that was my problem: I wrote the awk script incorrectly so the first
column (sampid) was a string rather than an integer.

The -V option is newer and was designed to sort the more complex numeric strings in product versions.

I saw that option in the sort man page and missed its significance for what
I wanted to do:

-V, --version-sort
              natural sort of (version) numbers within text

that's why I didn't try it.

Thanks very much.

Stay healthy,