On Mon, 4 May 2020, John Jason Jordan wrote:

I can access thousands of dollars of my cash at an ATM with only
a four number PIN; why does Facebook think it needs my phone number and
that my phone can display text messages.

That's not quite true. You need possession of your card as well as knowledge of your PIN.

The "something you have plus something you know" scheme is widely used and is typically the baseline for two-facter authentication.

Hence the reliance on something like a phone. It's possible to lose possesion of your phone, and it's possible to lose possession of your password, but it's far less likely you'd lose both.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com