On Mon, 25 May 2020, Rich Shepard wrote:

For sound monitoring I plugged in the Yamaha headset's phone control on
the desktop's front panel; the mic plug is not connected. My problem is
that pavucontrol shows the device as HD Audio generic analog stereo with
the port as Headphones (unplugged). I cannot find where to turn on the
headphones.

Very strange ... at least, to me.

Today, with the AudioTech mic connected and on, and the headset phones
plugged into the desktop's front panel connector, pulseaudio-ctl displays
this:

Volume level     : 100 %
 Is sink muted    : no
 Is source muted  : no
 Detected sink    : 0
 Detected source  : 0

Yesterday, with the same setup it deteceted on sink and 4 sources. I've no
idea why there's a difference. Regardless, ...

While pavucontrol shows the headphones unplugged, I opened a video and the
sound came through the headphones.

Reading the man pages for pulseaudio-ctl and pavucontrol and looking for
more knowledge on the web still leaves me with no understanding of why I'm
seeing what I do in these two applications. Yet, as long as the mic and
headphones work I can get stuff done.

Perhaps some day I'll increase my understanding of pulseaudio.

Hope you all had a fun and safe Memorial Day,