> I do *NOT* have a CD-ROM. I have an ISO image on a flash drive.

 You can use -d for the directory of the CD-ROM mount point or *add a
non-CD **mount point (i.e. a USB keydrive).*
> More info on apt-cdrom -  > <https://manpages.debian.org/man/8/apt-cdrom>

I want to install additional packages from the ISO *BEFORE* exiting the
> installer and booting the new system for the first time.

This sounds to me like rolling your own installer.  Rabbit hole this way =>
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Build

You might be able to accomplish this using the Netinstall image and then
when prompted to install add'l sw, pointing the usb key mount. You'll to
wade through this heavily screenshot laden page, but you'll find the
instructions on how to do it about 60% down the page under: 4. Install
packages and finish up
I know the Netinstall image was mentioned last time you posted about this
is that what install image you're using now?

If not, the Netinst image provides a minimal console only install.

 Download and verify firmware-10.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso …

$ wget -c
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-10.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
$ wget
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/amd64/iso-cd/SHA256SUMS
$ sha256sum -c --ignore-missing SHA256SUMS
firmware-10.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso: OK

> 1. Base Installation - " For technical reasons packages installed during
> the installation of the base system are installed without their
“Recommends”.
> The rule described above only takes effect after this point in the
> installation process."

A reference for that quotation?
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s03.en.html#di-install-base