On Sat, 3 Oct 2020, Dick Steffens wrote:

I have two websites hosted on StableHost as secondary accounts to my primary account that I no longer need. The domains are registered with NameCheap. I think this is what I need to do to retire those sites:

1. Clean out and delete the email accounts
2. Clean out the websites
3. Close the accounts at StableHost
4. Cancel the registration with NameCheap.

Have I left out anything important? Or less important?

If you've used the e-mail accounts in step 1 for any financial or personal transactions, make sure you close entirely any accounts associated with them.

People have been known to pick up old domains, and try to re-activate accounts with e-mail addresses in those domains. Often, this happens in the form of "I forgot my password," so the company on the other end of the transaction will send a verification message to the now-hijacked address. At that point, the attacker owns the account.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com