My Xfce4 panel sits at the bottom of the screen, as it has done for more
than 25 years, with the time at the extreme right end. Because gkrellm runs
in the lower left corner of the monitor and displays the date and time as
well as CPU, disk, and eth0 activities I don't pay attention to the panel
time, or am even aware of it.

But, this morning when I raised the panel to shift focus to a new virtual
workspace I saw the time is exactly 8 hours ahead of local time; it's on UTC
time. I don't think that it was before I started using gkrellm and would
check the panel time if I was not wearing a watch.

Trying to set the panel time to -8 I opened the Properties; the time setting
area was blank. Hovering the cursor over the text entry widget a tool-tip
displayed reporting that an empty widget uses local time, but I could enter
a time zone such as "America/Los Angeles", which I did. Made no difference.

Examining the Xfce Menu choices I saw nothing about setting the panel clock.

My hosts have always used local time, and that's what this one does. The
gkrellm clock now reads 8:39 while the panel clock reads 16:39.

While a minor annoyance I'd like to fix this. Does anyone know how to do so?