On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:55:11 -0500
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Wed, Feb 17, 2021, 17:30 John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 14:05:20 -0800
>> John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:
>>
>> >This is driving me nuts.
>>
>> Before rebooting I tried to umount md127p1, but got the 'busy' error
>> message, which I solved with the 'lazy' -l option. But although
>> umount -l executed without error, it didn't umount the array.
>> Eventually I gave up and rebooted, and after rebooting everything is
>> back to normal.
>>
>> I really need ideas.

>I thought you switched to using uuids - why do you care about name
>changes?
>
>TB is removable hotplug .... like USB ... device name changes are to be
>expected.

Well, yes. But I spent just a couple minute trying to umount and mount
the array, and it didn't dawn on my to use the UUID. I had a file
browser window open and /dev was displayed, so I just used
/dev/md127p1. That should have worked, at least for umount. When I
rebooted the array was mounted with the UUID, because the line in fstab
has the UUID, not /dev/md127. The following command executed without
error, but afterwards the array was still mounted, even though I was
unable to access any of the files on it:

        sudo umount -l /dev/md127p1

And afterwards I tried to mount it, but the mount command gave the error
that the device was already mounted.

And before umount/mount I pulled the TB3 plug from the enclosure,
waited a couple of minutes, then plugged it back in, but I was still
unable to access any of the files. It should have automatically
mounted, because that's what TB3 does. From past history I was pretty
sure that rebooting would fix things - I was just trying to solve the
problem without having to reboot. And none of these weird results
surprised me, because when I discovered that I couldn't access files on
the array my very first step was to look at /dev, and when I saw the
strange list of device names I knew that things had gotten screwed up
again.

Yes, device names may change on booting or when plugged in, but don't
device names stay put once you are booted or a drive is plugged in?