On 4/24/21 10:53 AM, Michael Barnes wrote:
> I have an old piece of equipment that handles monitoring and remote control
> for a site. It has an old serial dot matrix printer that would print out
> alarms situations and status readings. We want to keep the basic unit, but
> the printer has died. I'd like to replace the printer with something like a
> Raspberry Pi that would watch the serial printer line and store the data to
> a file, probably on a daily basis. I'm not great at programming, so I would
> like to find an app that could easily handle this duty.
> Suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Here's a summary of serial console options.

https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/5-linux-unix-commands-for-connecting-to-the-serial-console/

The RPi has a serial interface but you will have to assemble the serial
port wiring (either DB25 or DB9 male/female port) to connect to the
existing cable. With Radio Shack and Fry's gone belly up, I really miss
scanning the shelves for various electronic gems.

minicom may be the best "turn key" choice, as it can easily capture to a
file

minicom -s      to set up

minicom -C capturefile.txt   to capture serial data

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/connect-soekris-single-board-computer-using-minicom.html

This article provides parts and information specific to setting up the
RPi serial ports.

https://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection

-Ed