On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 3:35 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> > I mount a removable drive at a folder in my root drive. I copy files to
> > it. I umount the drive and unplug it. Later, with the removable drive not
> > even plugged in I look at the folder where I mounted it, and there are
> all
> > the files that I thought I was copying to the removable drive.
>
> John,
>
> Are you familiar with the PWD environment variable? At the shell prompt
> type
> $ echo PWD
> and the present working directory will be displayed.
>
> Using this after cd'ing to your multiple directories with  the same files
> might provide you with insights into what's happening.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rich

A habit I got into many years ago was to change the permissions to zero (0)
on folders that were mount points. For example:

mkdir -p -m 0 foo
sudo mount /dev/sdd foo

This would prevent me from inadvertently writing files into the mount point
folder if the mount command failed and I didn’t notice.

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Regards,
- Robert