On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 15:39:31 -0700
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 2:16 PM John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:36:41 -0700
>> Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>> >gmail misrendered that (supposed to be one line):
>> >
>> >sudo dpkg --debug=3 -i
>> >/var/cache/apt/archives/grub-pc_2.04-1ubuntu26.4_amd64.deb
>> >
>> >(notice the version from the dpkg -l grub-pc in the .deb filename)
>>
>> Somethng's still wrong:
>>
>> sudo dpkg --debug=3 -i
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/grub-pc_2.04-1ubuntu26.4_amd64.deb dpkg:
>> error: cannot access archive
>> '/var/cache/apt/archives/grub-pc_2.04-1ubuntu26.4_amd64.deb': No
>> such file or directory
>>
>> I carefully read every letter to make sure my copy/paste did it
>> right, but I must have messed up something.
>>
>Look in that directory (/var/cache/apt/archives/) for which
>grub-pc_*.deb files you *do* have.

There are a lot of files there, but none that start with grub. I also
searched /var from the command line, and I got the following:

locate grub-pc
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc-bin
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc/presubj
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc/script
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc-bin/presubj
/usr/share/bug/grub-pc-bin/script
/usr/share/doc/grub-pc
/usr/share/doc/grub-pc-bin
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/grub-pc-bin
/var/crash/grub-pc.0.crash
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc-bin.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc-bin.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.config
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grub-pc.templates

The file /var/crash/grub-pc.0.crash is obviously interesting, so I
opened it in mousepad. It contains hundreds of pages of grub-pc errors,
and the one at the very top of the page was when I installed a program
'sound converter' a few weeks ago, and at the end of the installation
there was the error message 'unable to configure grub-pc.' Well, I've
seen hundreds of those, so there's no point in wading through the file.
Mind you, there might be something more interesting, but I doubt I'd
accomplish much without knowing what to do a text search on.

And all I searched was /var. If there are other places where we might
find clues let me know. Or if any of the other files above are
interesting I can look at them.