I had to add a nic card to an Ubuntu server. Appears that once the
server has been setup it will not recognize a new card. You have to
go in and find the  port names, but in my case ifconfig, ip... etc only
showed me the functioning cards nothing else, I was finally able to
find them using dmesg | grep -i network, to see them. After that
I then had to  go in and modify the netplan yaml file and run netplan
try to see if they were seen, indeed they were.

Seems there should be a way to run the installer that did all of that
magic initially to short circuit the time it takes to do all of that just to
find out what the new port(s) are. In this case it was a fibre card that
replaced the copper paths to/from the Zoneminder server. Subiquiti
appears to be what does this, so why is there not a way to at least
run the network part to discover a card and get on with getting it
online avoiding having to putz with netplan and all of that. Anyone
have any ideas or is that just the way it is?

I tried all of the usual discovery tools to try to find those two ports but
not one of them displayed them, only the dmesg command above
worked.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.