A few nights ago I used screen for a very log running task. The man page
tells me, "... When screen is called, it creates a single window with a
shell in it (or the specified command) and then gets out of your way so that
you can use the program as you normally would. Then, at any time, you can
create new (full-screen) windows with other programs in them (including more
shells), kill existing windows, view a list of windows, turn output logging
on and off, copy-and-paste text between windows, view the scrollback
history, switch between windows in whatever manner you wish, etc."

When I used it after screen started the command it returned me to the shell
prompt, $. Since then, when I've started a screen session with the command
to run it gives me a couple of line feeds and no prompt.

What might I be doing incorrectly?

TIA,