I often download data as .csv files. The dates are usually formated as
mm/dd/yyyy. I want to convert them to the format yyyy-mm-dd. I've used awk
in the last instance (with the split() function) but didn't make note of
exactly how it was working so I could modify it for different source date
formats. I didn't get it working today on a new file, even after reading
about the split() function.

I also read about the match() function as that was used in a stack exchange
thread. I couldn't get it to work, either.

All the threads I found on my web search have original dates formatted
mmddyyyy and needed to have that string separated with dashes or forward
slashes separating month, day, and year. I keep dates in ISO 8601 format
(yyyy-mm-dd) and would like a way to do this with sed, awk, python, or perl.
I need it commented so I can adjust it for the number of fields in each line
and the position of the date field.

An example of the current data file:
BB Wood Products LLC|2017-094|Scappoose|Notice of Civil Penalty
Assessment||7/31/2017|8400.00
The date to be modified is in the sixth field.

I'm looking to learn how to do this conversion that's adaptable to all data
files needed adjustment.

TIA,