On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 7:51 AM Bill Barry <waba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022, 1:48 AM Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Your computers will, of course, be in different locations, but I
> > concur on gpsd as probably the right tools for what you describe.
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:06 PM Michael Barnes <barnmich...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I know about time (ntp) servers I can hook a GPS to a computer and
> > > broadcast time to the other computers in my local network.
> > >
> > > Is it possible to do this with location information? I have various
> > > programs which can take data from a GPS dongle and use it in the
> program
> > > for different purposes. With a number of computers in my office, I
> would
> > > like to somehow hook only one to a GPS and share the location data
> > > throughout the network. Otherwise, I have to get multiple GPS receivers
> > and
> > > hook one to each computer.
> > >
> > > Is this doable?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael
> >

> Assuming the computers are not moving  you could just use the gps to
> determine their position one time and record it in some file on that
> computer.
>
> Bill

Incorrect assumption. Ultimately, if this proves to be viable, it would be
incorporated into a deployment package where multiple operating positions
would be deployed to a site. There would be multiple computers that would
have various applications running that need to have accurate position
information. Right now, those applications are looking for serial GPS
connections. Somewhat related to this is a marine application for boats
that have a central GPS device that would feed several devices needing
location data. Having a separate GPS receiver for each piece of equipment
is impractical.

Michael