After creating the RAID1 /dev/md1 I installed the file system:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/md1

This ran for a few hours (2 x 2T hard drives in the array). Then root's
shell prompt returned. However, the lights on the RAID enclosure keep
flickering and gkrellm shows both user and system activities on the disks.

Now this has been running 2.5 hours. I don't know what the disk activity is,
and I cannot kill the process even with the -9 option.

This did not happen when I made the original raid1, /dev/md0, using 2 x 1T
hdds.

What might the system be doing with those disks and how can I kill the
process so I can continue getting my backup system working?