On Sun, 6 Feb 2022, Reid wrote:

What do you mean when you say it won't initialize? What happens when you
try?

Reid,

Dirvish, the backup software I use, needs a copy of the current contents of
a partition in the vault (the backup directory) so changes can be tracked
during daily runs. When I tried initializing that 12G vault only about 128M
were written to disk.

You could also run lsattr to check for an immutable bit. Normally the
first column is all hyphens '-'. An immutable bit would be an 'i'.

Nope. Just plain reg'lar directories:
$ ll /mnt/backup/
total 40
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb  4 09:12 lost+found/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Feb  6 06:27 salmo-data1/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Feb  6 11:39 salmo-data2/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Feb  6 08:27 salmo-home/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Feb  6 10:28 salmo-opt/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Feb  6 10:53 salmo-root/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Feb  6 11:26 salmo-var/

Since you created these manually though, I'd expect maybe something is
wrong at the application level preventing initialization of that
directory. Though you could also check for SELinux/AppArmor issues, if
that's enabled.

Were that the case I would have had issues with the other five vaults. I
didn't. They're all initialized.