I have had VirtualBox on my Lenovo laptop and its predecessors for many
years, and it always just works. Now that I have a new computer I
decided to install it there also, and copy the VDI file for Windows 10
over there also (I have multiple licenses). In the past this always
worked when I needed to make a fresh install.

Installing VirtualBox on the new computer was no problem, but when I
tried to copy the VDI file the new installation it will only let me
import OVF files, which are apparently an exported version of your
existing VDI files. After much muttering I swiveled around to my Lenovo
laptop to export the VDI file, only to discover that VirtualBox was not
installed. All the VDI files are still there in ~/.Virtualbox, but the
program just ain't there.

I did not uninstall it. Something else uninstalled it, but what? Why?
How?

I opened Synaptic and installed it on the Lenovo, and when I opened
VirtualBox there were all my virtual machines, including Windows 10.
The reinstalled program found the machines in ~/.VirtualBox. But there
is yet another problem. The version that I just installed on the Lenovo
laptop will only export in OVA format, and the version on the new
computer will import only OVF files. And both versions of VirtualBox
control the file manager so if it wants an OVF file that's all that it
allows to appear in the folder.

More putzing around. :(