On 2/17/22 10:39, Rich Shepard wrote
> Where do I look for codec mp3 and how do I put it where it should be for
> ffmpeg to find? Or, is there another tool I can use to extract the audio
> stream from an .mp4 I created so I can test my sound system with a file I
> know has recorded audio?
>
> Rich

In Slackware 14.2 you need to install lame from Slackbuilds.org

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/libraries/lame/

then get ffmpeg from same

https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/multimedia/ffmpeg/

and adjust the buildscript for any codex you need to have included.
Everything not in the base Slackware is <codec>=no by default.  Thus,
install the needed codecs, then either edit the buildscript or

# LAME=yes ... sh ffmpeg.SlackBuilds

See README. Don't forget your mp4 video codecs.  In Slackware-15.0
ffmpeg is compiled with lame (mp3).

-Ed