this is a uci-defaults script for an openvpn client (from circa May
2018, you need to provide your own value for
openvpn.foo.remote=${your-openvpn-server}, and you need to provide
your own /etc/openvpn/keys/ca.crt, /etc/openvpn/keys/client.crt, and
/etc/openvpn/keys/client.key'):

#!/bin/sh

uci batch <<EOF

delete openvpn.custom_config
delete openvpn.sample_server
delete openvpn.sample_client

set openvpn.foo=openvpn
set openvpn.foo.enabled=1
set openvpn.foo.client='1'
set openvpn.foo.dev='tun'
set openvpn.foo.proto='udp'
set openvpn.foo.remote=${your-openvpn-server}
set openvpn.foo.resolve_retry='infinite'
set openvpn.foo.nobind='1'
set openvpn.foo.persist_key='1'
set openvpn.foo.persist_tun='0'
set openvpn.foo.keepalive='10 120'
set openvpn.foo.remote_cert_tls=server
set openvpn.foo.ca='/etc/openvpn/keys/ca.crt'
set openvpn.foo.cert='/etc/openvpn/keys/client.crt'
set openvpn.foo.key='/etc/openvpn/keys/client.key'
set openvpn.foo.compress='lzo'

commit openvpn

add firewall zone
set firewall.@zone[-1].input='ACCEPT'