On Fri, 4 Mar 2022, Bill Barry wrote:

I think you need to buy a third laptop because it can't possibly be
related to the software :) How about disabling ntp for a while and see if
that fixes it.

Bill,

Actually, I did buy a backup from FG: a ThinkPad Edge for <$60; I'll pick it
up tomorrow.

This stall happened on my Dell and ThinkPad (after both quickly booted) and
now each bootup on the ThinkPad stalls. A stackexchange thread of a few
months ago focused on the same issue (with a different stall point) on a
ThinkPad T510 running debian and a 5.15 kernel.

ntpd should not be loaded at this stage of startup. The command controlling
ntpd on Slackware in /etc/rc.d/rc.ntpd and it's not executable by default
and doesn't appear in dmesg on a new boot.

What makes this issue particularly frustrating is that for the past dozen or
so years this booting stall has not appeared here on any laptop or desktop
running Slackware with earlier kernels. Different brands, motherboards, chip
sets, CPUs, etc. Kernels from 2.4 (or 2.6) through 4.19.

Thanks,