On Sun, 28 Aug 2022 01:23:08 -0700
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> wrote:

> Uh, I'd take issue with "poorly designed". Maybe misunderstood.

I don't mean the page cache is a bad idea. I mean that "MemFree" should be
called
something like "MemInactive" and "MemAvailable" should be called "MemFree" in
/proc/meminfo. Some things in Linux are poorly named, with caveats in the
documentation
saying "Oh but not all free memory is free." It's a pretty minor complaint.

There's also the 30 year old bug where there's nothing stopping any userspace
non-root
program from totally locking up a machine by allocating all the RAM, which
causes the
kernel to constantly swap pages to disk and back and freezes the whole system.
Buut that's
another issue really.