On Mon, 12 Sep 2022, John Jason Jordan wrote:

Actually, my tesseract is apt and my vobsub2srt is snap. And there is
no snap for tesseract and there is no apt for vobsub2srt. There are
also a couple of PPAs to install later versions of tesseract, including
5.0, but that doesn't sound like the right move.

Maybe I can find an old version of vobsub2srt from before snap existed.

John,

Others will comment on this suggestion, but since you appeared stymied now
consider pointing the existing library version to the required value using a
soft link. Each application will find the library version it wants. Not
perfect, but it could be a temporary (or permanent) solution for you.

Regards,