On Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:57:13 -0700
Ali Corbin <ali.cor...@gmail.com> dijo:

>On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com>
>wrote: .....
>
>> Does anyone on the plug list have experience using multiple
>> keyboards and alternate character sets?  Suggested vendors
>> for those keyboards?  Helpful Linux tools for linguistic
>> cripples?

>I regularly switch back and forth between Latin, Cyrillic, and
>(ancient)  Greek.  But I simply switch the layouts, using a single physical
>keyboard for each.  Which takes some memorization.  Since I never
>learned to touch-type in Russian, I can use a phonetic Cyrillic
>keyboard and mostly press the Latin key that sounds like the Cyrillic
>one.  I do have to memorize where the extra letters are, or bring up
>an image of the keyboard layout, or even bring up the character map
>and click the letters into the paste buffer.

That's pretty much how I do it for Ancient Greek (polytonic), although I
also often use Onboard, which came with Xubuntu. Onboard gives you an
on-screen keyboard so you can click on characters. I assigned
Shift-Ctrl-Alt to switch between normal US English keyboard and Ancient
Greek. When I'm in Ancient Greek the Onboard keys change to Greek, or I
can just use the keyboard on my Thinkpad, in which case I have to
remember which keys give me which Ancient Greek characters.

I could do the same thing for any other language that requires
completely non-Latin characters. But I also sometimes write in Spanish,
French and German, and for those I just use the Compose key rather than
switch to a completely different keyboard. When I enabled the Compose
key I assigned it to the Windows key, otherwise useless on Ubuntu. If I
want (e.g.) an ä I hold down the Windows key, type a double quote, then
the a, and the process gives me an ä. All I have to remember is that a
double quote gives me an umlaut, a single quote gives me an acute
accent, a back quote produces an accent grave, and an > gives an accent
circumflex. There are lots more possibilities, and I have memorized the
sequences for a few more, like ß, !, ¿, etc.

I also frequently need IPA characters. I could install a special
keyboard for them, but over years of using them I find it's faster just
to use Ctrl-Shift-u + Unicode hex number. The thing is that IPA
characters are needed just as a single character inserted into a paper
that is otherwise completely in English. Over the years I've memorized
the most frequently used ones, and I made a little popup message tool
that displays them when I need one that I haven't memorized. That is,
the popup is created by gxmessage, (in the repos) which I call with a
little bash script that also loads the text file that contains the data
to be displayed.

The nice thing about my setup is that I need no extra physical
keyboards. I can do everything quickly and easily with the US English
keyboard that Lenovo built into my current Thinkpad. And if I travel I
need bring no extra baggage in order to have everything available.