On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 14:58:56 -0800
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:

>OK, I may be making some headway here.
>
>sudo mdadm -D /dev/md0
>/dev/md0:
>           Version : 1.2
>     Creation Time : Mon Jan 25 13:53:32 2021
>        Raid Level : raid0
>        Array Size : 30005334016 (27.94 TiB 30.73 TB)
>      Raid Devices : 4
>     Total Devices : 4
>       Persistence : Superblock is persistent
>
>       Update Time : Mon Jan 25 13:53:32 2021
>             State : broken, FAILED
>    Active Devices : 4
>   Working Devices : 4
>    Failed Devices : 0
>     Spare Devices : 0
>
>            Layout : -unknown-
>        Chunk Size : 512K
>
>Consistency Policy : none
>
>    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
>       0     259        2        0      active sync   missing
>       1     259        1        1      active sync   missing
>       2     259        0        2      active sync   missing
>       3     259        3        3      active sync   missing
>
>Also tried sudo mdadm --run /dev/md0, but there was no output.
>
>Is this repairable without wiping out the data and recreating the
>array?

I did some searching and found several suggestions involving mdadm
commands, but the suggestions just offered the commands with no
explanation of what the command does, nor could I find clear and
understandable explanations on the man page. For example, one
suggestion used the mdadm command 'assemble,' and when I looked in the
man page it said 'use assemble to assemble the raid.' Using the term to
define the term is a useless pleonasm.

In the end I closed down all running programs and then shut down the
computer. When I rebooted everything was running as it should,
including the RAID. In the year and a half since I bought the drives
and set up the RAID this is at least the fifth time that the RAID has
failed while in use. In each case a mere reboot cured the problem. But I
have to say that the next time I need to set up a RAID mdadm will be my
last choice.