Hi,

So i just finished putting together a new PC AMD K7/Asus MB.

if i leave it alone for some indeterminate amount time, on the order of 1 to 2
hours, it decides to lock up - sort of. The caps lock key is still working, for
example, but the monitor doesn't see a signal.

A few things that i've checked:

1 set the display shut-off to a few minutes and sat there and watched it shut
off the display. Not a problem.

2 suspended it, unsuspended it, and it recovered. that was a shocker. suspend
mode and linux have never worked for me. not ever.

Regardless i have suspend mode time set to never and i just now changed the
display shut-off time to never.  Even though i watched it shut-off without a
problem I'm still suspicious that it may be the problem (for example, maybe it
has to stay in display shut off for a few minutes).

A couple of things i would like to do.

Is there a way to enable more detailed kernel tracing so i could look at a log
file and see if can figure out if there's a particular activity preceding the
problem ?

One thing that occurs to me as i'm typing this is that I did not try to SSH in
and see if things were working - it could simply be a video card driver problem
(AMD video card).

The odd thing is that it's running 100% reliably when i'm sitting at the
computer

Any other things I might try to narrow down the problem ?

--
Brian