I think osCommerce is a great option for all the features it has. It has a strong community and hundreds of plugins and does all sorts of cool stuff you'd want it to.

I would not recommend it, however, if you want to do something with the visual layout
other than the standard "block-oriented" style. I had *major* - yea, nigh unto
alcoholism-inducing - headaches getting it to look like the mockups the customer gave me
because they didn't follow the normal 3-column, boxes down each side, banner on top
layout (there is some flexibility there but not nearly as much as I needed). Internally,
there's a ton of intermingling of display code with business/database logic. If that
doesn't bother you then I think it's a very good option.

A couple of other things I noticed about osCommerce, though probably not a big
deal: when I used it (about 4-6 months ago) the affiliates plugin had a ways to
go before you could call it usable (I had to read the code to understand
anything about how it worked), although I'm not really complaining because it's
some dude doing it in his spare time. I also really wish it would let you
customize what fields each product could have.

If you want something with a better split between domain logic and display
logic, ZenCart looks like a good way to go. It's an osCommerce spinoff by
people who seem to have had the same complaint as I did. They didn't take it as
far as I wish they would have - I'd really like an ecommerce app that simply
handed the templates a bunch of data structures and let me display them however
the heck I wanted to - but it's a large step up from osCommerce in that respect.

The other one I can mention is Interchange, which does so much you begin to
wonder if there shouldn't be college degrees available in it. But my minimal
experience with it leads me to believe it's, well, unwieldy.

| This has been a P.L.U.G. mailing. |
| Don't Fear the Penguin. |
| IRC: #utah at irc.freenode.net |