On Monday 06 June 2005 12:28 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Put it this way though - finally, one OS to rule them all that's not
> Microsoft.  Apple, who does it right, and sells PCs, not just the OS,
> will finally use the Intel architecture the way it is supposed to be
> used!  I, for one am excited for this.  Intel processors have advanced
> much further,under much less power than PPC, so I can see huge leaps and
> bounds by apple in the near future.

Hrm, debateable.

However, it seems that Apple may be shooting themselves again considering that
the cell processor is Power based--you'd think they'd want to take advantage
of being closer to taking advantage of the new, extraordinary performance
potential than any other architecture... but then we are talking Steve Jobs
here.

(I do realize there's no immediate benefit to the cell w/regards to a general
purpose os, but having your entire platform already on the same base
architecture could make porting speed-critical plugins (photoshop, games,
etc) that much simpler.)

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe