On Monday 06 June 2005 02:41 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My prediction is competition will eventuall force Intel to develop
> technology that is similar or surpasses the cell as their core processor
> technology.  I wouldn't worry too much about the cell outperforming
> Intel at the moment.  Just my opinion...

Maybe, but I predict that Sony's multi-billion dollar investment into cell
architecture will be well protected with strong IP licensing.  It is of
itself an architecture, and to be compatible anything would have to match the
architecture.  To compete along the same lines would require duplicating the
design w/a different instruction set--but I'd wager that the design is
legally protected from this happening.  Furthermore, Intel would have to
create a new, competing market for the new architecture at the same time--and
we've already seen them fail at this with the Itanic attempt.

I'm guessing that for Intel to compete with the cell market, it will either
have to license it and play ball in Sony's court producing the same stuff, or
roll their own and fight it out in the courts and the market where they've
already shown that they don't have "the right stuff".

--
Respectfully,

Nicholas Leippe
Sales Team Automation, LLC