On 5/8/06, David B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Anybody know what the lights on the front of the WRT54G behind the word
Cisco are used for? I get an orange sometimes and a white light
sometimes.  Also what is that button behind the word Cisco used for?

Yes.  Sometime last year they finally wrote into the firmware an awful
feature that screws up your settings to make it secure "at the touch
of a button".  Basically the light is orange to let you know that your
router isn't secure enough (in it's own estimation) and if you push
the button it will change a bunch of settings and start some sort of
wizard that will help you make it more secure.  When you're done the
light turns white to let you know everything is keen.

It's a really awful feature.  I hate it.  When I bought my router the
lights were off and the button did nothing, you have to have an
updated firmware to enable this "feature".

Luckily it's just a button and some LEDs that can, if you're using a
more open firmware like OpenWRT, just be used or manipulated by
twiddling bits on a GPIO.  One guy uses his to make his firewall rules
more strict "at the touch of a button" (or was it less strict... I
don't recall) and another guy uses the lights to indicate if someone
is ssh'd into the box.

Both orange and white lights can be on at the same time.

- Andrew