On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:30:41 -0700, "Bryan Sant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

I've written production code in all three languages you mention (the
Perl was a long time ago, but I have no desire to go back for a
refresher), and I prefer Python; I find it elegant but practical.  My
second pick would be Ruby.

> On the down side, I heard that Python didn't originally have OO
> capabilities and that this was later bolted on (the same is true for
> Perl).

Python's OO is more smalltalkish than javaish, and it doesn't force you
into "thou shalt write everything as classes," but it's OO to the core.
See http://www.prescod.net/python/OOMyth.html

This also seems apropos:
http://spyced.blogspot.com/2005/10/why-do-java-programmers-like-ruby.html

Also, since you're probably used to Eclipse already, you should check
out PyDev.  It's one of the best free IDEs for a dynamic language.

Finally, a bunch of helpful people hang out in
irc://irc.freenode.net/#utahpython

-Jonathan